Thursday, August 25, 2011

Braxton Hicks...so deceptive

Today marks 37 weeks. But a few days ago I didn't think I was going to make it to 37 weeks.

Monday night, about 5:15pm, I started having some very regular contractions. I'm talking every 4-5 minutes lasting 45-60 seconds each. This went on for a solid hour, making me wonder if this was THE day. After that hour, the contractions became more irregular, anywhere from 4 minutes to 15 minutes apart, and they never got any worse, but even this continued for the next several hours.

We're lucky in that we have friends who work in the medical field, one specifically works in the maternity department of the hospital in Sulphur Springs. So we texted her (it was after 10pm at this point) to find out if we should be concerned or not. Her advise: take a Tylenol, take a warm bath, and drink lots of water. So after taking Tylenol, a warm bath (then a hot shower) and drinking as much water as I could stand, I laid down to try and sleep some. Alas, laying down was the only thing that made the contractions stop.

Stupid Braxton Hicks! I had let myself get excited at the prospect of having my little girl that night.

So, after going to my regular doctor's visit on Wednesday, she tells me I'm still at 1cm, and Piper is still pretty high. No baby this week, I guess. But the doctor did go ahead and schedule an induction for me for September 9. That's two weeks from tomorrow. I can make it two more weeks (though I'm secretly hoping she doesn't wait that long to meet us!).

BTW - when I ask Isaac if he thinks Piper will be born before, on or after his birthday, he always responds with ON his birthday. He seems to think that that would be big fun. Not sure how he'd feel about that a few years from now. :)

No comments: